Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Have I Finally Figured Things Out?

I have had Reason 6 now for about three weeks and I think that I have finally figured out a method of working that gets results for me. When I first got the program I was sucked in by the drum machines and synths and the capabilities of these machines. Unfortunately for me when I would put together drum tracks first the songs never seemed to develop.

Last weekend I pulled out the bass and began to record bass lines. I just hit record and began playing to a click track. After about five minutes I stopped and went back to listen. I was able to get four bass grooves out of that five minutes that worked really well together. I then took each groove and played drums on my keyboard using the auto quantize function. In about five minutes I then had four bass/drum grooves.

Next using the copy and paste function I expanded each groove to run a few minutes so that I could try to incorporate some other sounds into the rhythmic track.

Once I had a few things I liked I expanded some of the parts to be the verse sections of the song and others into choruses or changes or just short breaks.

Two hours in I had a song which was not bad. Its not going to the top with a bullet but it was more satisfying than anything else I had produced up to that point. I even took it so far as to use the mastering effects. I was able to define the mid-range and bring everything together so that it sounded more cohesive.

I am now looking forward to my next session this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment